Corners of the Cranium

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

How to feed Kansas


1 Juice Box
2 Milks
1 sausage
1 Chilli-Beans
1 Pudding
1 Peaches
1 Raisins
1 Gummy bears
1 Pretzels
1 Fruit Bars
1 Stack of crackers
2 Cereals
All of that makes one packets. You fit seven packets in a box vertically, and then 1 horizontally. Then you stack 64 boxes per palette. One palette contains 512 packets, costing $4 each. You need to feed 5,000 children a week. Together is costs over $20,000 to make sure that no body's kid goes hungry.
                This is the enormous task of the Kansas food bank, located in Wichita. In the process, it requires hundreds of random strangers all coming together to make sure that everybody’s kid can eat this week. Today I volunteered just two hours of my day at the Kansas Food Bank, working together with other strangers who wandered in to give their time. I was quickly briefed by a kind gentleman named john about the process of assembling one packet and then left to help get this big job done. So there I was with my Ipod rocking the latest album by Keane, Night Train (Reviewed in my other blog). I would pace about between folding box, stuffing plastic bags with goods, and loading the palettes. Another little family of a Grandma and her two grandsons, as well as myself. It was a good way to kill my afternoon during winter break. Unfortunately they aren’t open on weekends so winter break seems like the best time help out the families in need. Speaking of which Walmart can make the difference for this bank of groceries. This big warehouse downtown combines the work of volunteers and employees, and would really appreciate any votes. Pretty soon Keane ran out so I was forced into “Black Keys” mode. By the end of the day I was tired, happy, and inspired. Kansas Food Bank was probably pretty happy too, because we filled up an palette, as I mentioned it feeds 512 people. And it all started with
1 Juice Box

No comments:

Post a Comment