Corners of the Cranium

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Songs- All Fall Down

Lost till you're found. Swim till you drown. Love till you hate. Strong till you brake. These words can be found in the song "All Fall Down" by Onerepublic (BTW they're my favorite band). Now I want to shine the spot light on this song for a moment. I want to take a deeper look at this song, to dive into the world of a song, much as you would a book. First, I want you to listen to the song, maybe leave the window or tab open to go back and listen. Next, I want you to set everything aside for a moment and give this your full attention. Now, after you've listened to this song, continue reading.

The first part I want to talk about is in the chorus: "If ever your world starts crashin down, whenever your world starts crashin down, whenever your world starts crashin down, thats where you'll find me." To start out with, I would like to point out how he (Ryan Tedder) first says IF, then on the second and third times, he switches to WHENEVER. I believe he puts this in here not only to point out that it is a when, not an if, but that there will be more than one time in your life when your feel like your world is crashing down. Now when he says, that's where you'll find me, I think that part is based more on personal opinion. For me, I like to remember that I found this band when I was at a low point in my life.
Second, I want to go back to the beginning of the song, before he begins singing the chorus: "Step out the door, and it feels like rain. That's the sound, that's the sound on your window pane. Take to the streets, but you can't ignore, that's the sound, that's the sound, you waited for." I get a little confused at this part. Apparently, you have been waiting for rain, and we later find out that's when you're world falls down. Okay, so maybe he wants to start the song in a solemn mood. Here's the feeling i get: I am so sad, something has happened to make me very sad or angry; with the arrival of rain, I feel like i can appropriately express my feelings. With the expression of my feelings comes the realization something big and important, such as life, isn't what it is made out to be. And then your world falls apart.
"Take a breath, take a step, meet me down below." I see this part and I think of someone jumping off a bridge. Imagine yourself, standing there, contemplating life, and then you decide to do it. You take one last breath. You take one step, and your falling, falling, falling..... Now instead of a bridge, think of this as a pit, your standing on the edge, looking down and you see someone down there. He tells you to come on down, so you walk right of the edge as if you were a cat knowing you're going to land on your feet. This might symbolize people after their world falls out on them. They get depressed, then they're vulnerable for a period. He could be referring to the devil tempting you, or peer pressure to do drugs or smoke.
That concludes my article for today. I want to hear what think about this song and this article. Please leave your comments below.

By Mr. Awesome

No comments:

Post a Comment